harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Classpath VM interface. (Please read)
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:20:28 GMT

On Jun 6, 2005, at 11:38 PM, Sven de Marothy wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 12:36 +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> [A] Suns rt.jar and derivatives (such as IBMs) class libraries
>> [B] GNU Classpaths class libraries
>>
> [..]
>
>> In an ideal world Harmony VM would be able to use either [A] or [B]
>> with a small adapter layer. Much like MMTk can be used in multiple
>> VMs
>> with a small adapter layer.
>>

> If you have downloaded Harmony, which intends to be a full JDK
> including
> a VM and class library, why would you want to be able to use that
> with the
> class library from a different JDK?

Because users aren't just end users writing code.  We expect
participants here (and consumers of the output) to be people who need
to use Apache Harmony as a core for their VM distribution to avoid
having to re-do all the work that we do, upon which they will add
whatever features they want.  This could be a new class library
tailored for some specific purpose, an augmented or modified class
library, etc.

> Disregarding the illegality of distributing such a combo, there is
> no good
> practical reason for wanting that either.

There are quite a few good practical reasons, and remember, the above-
mentioned people would simple get their own TCK license and certify
their disto if they wanted to distribute.  We provide under the
Apache License (and compatible) - what people do with the software
downstream isn't our business, nor something we willingly restrict.

(That said, we encourage compatibility as good for the whole Java
ecosystem...)

>> It seems unlikely that either [A] or [B] is going to invest the
>> time in
>> trying to develop a common VM interface because they are not
>> interested in
>> facilitating reuse of the alternative.
>>

> Java specifications are created by the JCP and not Sun. This issue
> should be raised there before jumping to conclusions like that.

Well, that's an interesting idea - why don't we try to develop a VM/
classlib interface and bring to the JCP?  :)

Sven, ever want to be a spec lead?

> And as a Classpath developer (but speaking for myself), I feel that we
> would be quite happy to use a common VM interface, if there was a
> such a
> specification. Unless of course if it was so extremely bad, that
> all the
> Classpath-using VMs refused to use it. Which I think is unlikely.
>

>> So it is probably going to be up to a third party like Harmony to
>> investigate a common VM layer.
>>

> Harmony is not a third party. We're all in this together. However,
> Harmony can help solve this. Apache has a good standing in the JCP,
> and
> thus better chances than most for getting this specified.

I'd rather us get it worked out here, and then bring to the JCP.

geirm@apache.org