harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ravi kiran Gorrepati" <r...@cs.unm.edu>
Subject Re: Harmony Cross-Compilation
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 20:51:03 GMT
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:25:20 -0600, Brett Wuth <wuth@castrov.cuug.ab.ca>
wrote:

> In the C world cross-compiling works across both HW and operating
> systems.  I too would like to see this feature in Harmony.

I should have put this more properly. My mistake. But, it is always
easier to write a cross-compiler that cheats the underlying runtime,
that it is behaving to the conventions. Write a native code wrapper,
written in your favorite lang, on your preferred OS and then just
branch to the the generated JVM compiler code, that is spit by the host
compiler(This approach even saves you from respecting the conventions
of architecture!!). Your generated code, is just a stream of instructions,
and is free from all conventions.

	Though this approach is not ideal, it lets us
keep the VM simple and understandable.
--
Ravi