harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Assembled comments from the web
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 18:19:39 GMT
>>>>> "Henri" == Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> writes:

Henri> 1) Use Parrot.

LLVM is probably a better choice, if it comes to that.
But looking at execution engines is probably premature.

Henri> 5) Have Sun open-source things to Harmony, or IBM.

Would be nice.

Henri> 6) Will generics be truly in the .class files and not just a
Henri> compiler hack?

If you want something that is really java, then you end up having to
stick to what java does, even if it seems like a mistake.  In
particular you can't really improve generics, because the differences
would be detectable by user programs.

Henri> 10) Does the TCK test serialization compatibility, or should that be
Henri> something that gets created, a large test that compares two J2SEs for
Henri> compatibility?

I don't know about the TCK, but Mauve already includes some
serialization tests, and of course we're happy to have people add
more.

Henri> 11) It would be interesting to see a document with areas for vendor
Henri> improvement.

Some of the tasks here involve ways to better integrate the class
libraries with other free software projects:

http://www.peakpeak.com/~tromey/free-java.html

If you want to build a really configurable VM, I think it makes sense
to consider breaking down the whole package into a few different
parts: the "core" VM (stuff like runtime linking, other low-level java
semantics, object layout, exception handling approach), the execution
engine (jit, interpreter, whatever), the garbage collector, the class
library, and the OS interface.  Making it possible to mix-and-match
these, or to say configure from a very tiny embedded VM up to a
server-type recompiling JIT, is not trivial, as these areas are not
completely independent.  You can see some discussion of a few of the
issues in this thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2004-01/msg00033.html

It would be nice to have some kind of reusable, configurable core VM.
Perhaps we could eliminate one of the current areas of divergence this
way, by letting (eg) kaffe/sable/jamvm/libgcj share more bits.

Tom