harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: The topic of the Java Compiler
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 23:38:54 GMT
>>>>> "Berlin" == Berlin Brown <berlin.brown@gmail.com> writes:

Berlin> The compiler seems to be a non-issue at this time with a focus
Berlin> on the JavaVM.  What are your thoughts on the different
Berlin> compilers?

For Harmony I would say the leading contender is the java compiler
that comes with Eclipse.  It is written in java and already supports
all the 1.5 features.

As far as gcj goes, the new 1.5-ish front end I'm writing has a
standalone part which does all the language processing and bytecode
generation.  It does not depend on the rest of gcc at all.  It is
written in C++.

kjc is also out there and being developed, but I don't know much about
it.

Tom