harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Berlin Brown <berlin.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Windows support
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 12:44:12 GMT
Hello, I am not a JVM guru like the others, just a long-time Java
advocate and sit-back-and-watch Harmony person.  I have a comment, I
know there will be a strong interest in getting an Apache backed
system on Linux/Solaris/Mac environments.  It would be nice to see a
strong effort for Windows support.  One of the key selling points of
Java is its portability.   Having a Windows port would be key.   And,
we all love to hate Windows, but it is pretty pervasive.  It would be
nice if the Windows support was part of the initial focus and not an
after thought like some of the research Open-Source/JavaVMs that are
out now.

*Reasons*

Don't get me wrong, I am a long-time linux/unix user.  Some will argue
that Java is for server-side Linux/Solaris and this is true.  But, I
also see that many Java developers tend to love windows even though
they won't admit it.

I think that as more developers are interested in Java, they will
expect Windows support and consider Java as option for development of
Desktop Applications.

Also, I would suggest a port of C-Code Kaffe/GCJ JavaVM code to a
Microsoft backed compiler, possibly Visual C++ 6/7.  Or at least
provide build support for the Windows platforrm.

-- Just my 2 cents.