harmony-dev mailing list archives

From netSQL <netsqlm...@roomity.com>
Subject Re: [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 11:06:27 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> both  C/C++
> and  Java in this effort.

Good thought.

Lets consider this one step further for holly grail of Cross Platform:
Consider C# (Mono w/ GTK#) and XPCom (Firefox Xross Platform "objects")
instaed of C/C++? ( I am sick of C/C++ and even Apple Objective C)

Sort of Start w/ what we have on Fedora4, Eclipse(GTK2 native I belive
in SWT) and Tomcat work on it w/ Classpath+GCJ.

Then get this idea http://www.omnicore.com/xdevelop_comparison.htm (look
at langs)
and this Novell idea (look at langs) http://www.mono-project.com/Plans .
( and http://www.ikvm.net - Java deployed on CLI)

And related croos platform sucessfull efort is
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Gecko:SDK (Works great on Cocoa Mac, Active X,
etc.; but this is a C/C++. It's a bit hard to work w/ make and pointers
after Ant and GC), re-implement in both Java and ANSI C#. (more on
"C/C++" GRE, etc.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/embedding/faq.html, such as Geko/GTK+
api. Even look at Apache http://httpd.apache.org/cli synergy, and iBatis
Java and .NET )

So, what I am saying, a cross platform byte-code and CLI (not native w/
inspiration from XPCom)!

So if you buy that, what's the compass?
Here is what a simple PetStore(s) should bein "Haromony XP":

* http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-SWT-browser-widget/browser.html

* http://primates.ximian.com/~edasque/projects/Tutorial/glade2.html - I
can make in Java via ikvm.net.

Maybe target a sample browser app in ANSI C# (nothing evil about ANSI)
and Java. Runtime can be bytecode, but somone could port to cross
platform CLI.

steping over C++.

Why that as focus?
- Eclipse already WORKS and can and does ship w/ Linux distro (a MAJOR
Harmony goal).
- It's sufficiently chalanging, if the browser widget and application
work "XP", the text box, radio buttons is no problem. :-) (And somone
down the road can write a full browser w/Rino in "Hramony")
- I think that Mono browser and SWT browser are similar. Come up w/ ANSI
and Java TCK way to implement. The sf.net "motto" is: do one thing and
do it well, and I see all these things as convergence.

.V

  (ot: I think I posted 1st on Java coming w/ FC4 that had a hand in
kicking this off ;)