harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Bryce Leo <likwidoxi...@gmail.com>
Subject Organizing the Mailing List
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 22:48:26 GMT
As harmony is just getting started, there is a great deal of good
suggestions, questions and offers for help. Ever since the Slashdot
announcement I personally think that the number of people whom have
joined and offered their services has clearly gone up and to promote
organization I'm proposing a naming scheme for subject of emails. The
Bulletin board style tags are just to promote reading ease.

First lets look at what seem to be the larger topics of discussion.

[BigCategories]
JVM: The Java Virtual Machine, where to start, different available
codebases and strategies.

Compiler: Creating a javac like tool.

Documentation: It's always easier to document as you go along and well
documented code can save tons of time in tracking down bugs.

Libraries: Which ones to choose or develop individually

Tools: The associated java tools, applet viewer, jar, etc.

Introduction: This would be used for if your'e introducing yourself,
listing prior experience, etc.

DevPriority: The overall discussion of which parts of harmony should
be developed first.

Target OS: Seems small but it doesn't belong as a part of any other so
it gets its own.

Licensing: Should really be a minor concern for now, once we pick up
steam this issue will be logically sorted out. It's and
inter-dependancy (i apologize if i used the word wrong), choosing a
licence effects our code base choices and visa-versa

Below these would be sub-categories that would provide more insight
into the larger topic.

[SmallCategories]
Suggestion: General suggestion(s) for a particular topic.

Questions: Questions about a particular topic.

DevPriority: Probably shouldn't be used yet, would be used for
sub-development. i.e. What order things should be developed for the
compiler.

So say for example you wanted to send a brand new suggestion for the
JVM the topic of the post would be "JVM--Suggestion" and if you wanted
to ask a questions about a compiler it would be "Compiler--question"
and so on like that.

This should be friendly for both threaded and un-threaded mail
clients. And under this system this mail would be
"Organization--Organization" but for now that's irrelevant.

I think this system would really help focus the group and allow people
to easily tune in to what interests them and keep a tab on the general
flow of the project, while right now things seem a bit "willy-nilly".

What do you think?
--
~Bryce Leo

--Veritas Vos Liberabis--