harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Gonzalez <rob.gonza...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 18:38:04 GMT
> >   - jc (written in C)
> >   - jikes rvm (written in java)
>
> Between those two I'm on the side of jc becuase it should run faster
> than jikes rvm, I don't know why it wouldn't. Though I don't know why
> Kaffe isn't on the list.

AFAICT JC is the only real option on the table right now.

- jc was donated under the apache license.

- JikesRVM is CPL, so i don't believe it's automatically on the table
without IBM's releasing a version under the apache license.

- Kaffe is GPL and no one organization or person owns the copyright
(as compared to GNU projects, for example), so it's basically
impossible to re-license.

since we're now officially in the incubator, can we check this into an
apache SVN repository and get hacking at it?

Regarding the x-platform & modularity goals;  regardless of whether
most of the VM itself is written in Java, C, or whatever, having a
small bootloading VM layer that instantiates the rest of the VM --
again, a la JikesRVM -- is probably a good design decision and
something that can be worked on immediately;  not that I'm
volunteering for that myself ;) .

best,
-Rob