harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Kunitz <k...@deine-taler.de>
Subject Re: [DOC] Learning JVM: Where to begin?
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 16:03:54 GMT
On Thu, 26 May 2005, Raffaele Castagno wrote:

> Where should I begin to read to understand something about JVM and related
> topics?
> Actually I've printed the Java Virtual Machine Specification: It's a good
> starting point?

Probably yes. Currently I'm not aware of complete and definitive
introduction into the implementation of a Java VM. There is a
papers section on the Harmony Wiki start page http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ .
I found the Jikes RVM papers to give the best insights into the
implementation of an advanced VM. More can be found
under http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/ . Steve Blackburn's papers
can be found under http://cs.anu.edu.au/~Steve.Blackburn/pubs/abstracts.html .

IMHO it might also be useful to read material, which is not
directly VM-related, but deals with issues, which must be
addressed in a VM. "Garbage Collection" by Jones and Lins is a
good introduction into GC algorithms. Advanced compilation
techniques can be found in Steven S. Muchnik "Advanced Compiler
Design & Implementation". It gives for example an introduction
into the Static Single-Assignment (SSA) Form.

I found Bill Venners' book "Inside the Java Virtual Machine" not
particularly useful. It is basically a rewrite of the Java Virtual
Machine specification.

If you don't fear to look at the "dark side of the force",
Serge Lidin's book "Inside Microsoft .NET IL assembler" is a
readable introduction into the Intermediate Language used by the
Common Language Runtime. It has indeed a black cover. ;-)

Uli