harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Windows support
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 14:20:39 GMT

On May 10, 2005, at 8:44 AM, Berlin Brown wrote:

> Hello, I am not a JVM guru like the others, just a long-time Java
> advocate and sit-back-and-watch Harmony person.  I have a comment, I
> know there will be a strong interest in getting an Apache backed
> system on Linux/Solaris/Mac environments.  It would be nice to see a
> strong effort for Windows support.  One of the key selling points of
> Java is its portability.   Having a Windows port would be key.   And,
> we all love to hate Windows, but it is pretty pervasive.  It would be
> nice if the Windows support was part of the initial focus and not an
> after thought like some of the research Open-Source/JavaVMs that are
> out now.
>
> *Reasons*
>
> Don't get me wrong, I am a long-time linux/unix user.  Some will argue
> that Java is for server-side Linux/Solaris and this is true.  But, I
> also see that many Java developers tend to love windows even though
> they won't admit it.
>
> I think that as more developers are interested in Java, they will
> expect Windows support and consider Java as option for development of
> Desktop Applications.
>
> Also, I would suggest a port of C-Code Kaffe/GCJ JavaVM code to a
> Microsoft backed compiler, possibly Visual C++ 6/7.  Or at least
> provide build support for the Windows platforrm.

There's no reason why this won't run on Windows.  It would be insane
not to.  We want this to be a universal, portable effort.  It will
simply come down to where the Harmony-Platform interface is, and we
should be aware that the world is bigger than posix threads and
berkely sockets :)

geir

geirm@apache.org