harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 23:19:18 GMT

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >> a) Respectfully petition JamVM for a one-time license grant of the
> >> codebase under the Apache License that we can start with.
> We would
> >> use this as our base kernel, refactoring out the modules that we
> >> decide on in II above, and working to implement those modules in
> >> whatever makes sense - Java or C.  Robert brought up this issue on
> >> the list, so I have responded w/ a request on this list
>
> Just something to consider..
>
> JamVM is optimized for size (and succeeds incredibly well at
> that), not necessarily completeness. For example, I don't
> think that it supports class loader unloading or
> soft/weak/phantom references (Robert please correct me if
> this is wrong). Those are non-trivial bits to have to design
> and write from scratch, and retro-fitting them into an
> existing VM could potential require significant rework.
>
> -Archie

According to http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~csc586a/Ass1.pdf JamVm lacks a
bytecode verifier, too.

I suspect that would be easier to add than soft/weak/phantom references,
though.

Nick

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.