harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 07:20:56 GMT

> Last Friday, I made the following proposal:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev
> /200505.mbox/%3c428439D6.5080709@anu.edu.au%3e
>
> In the context of the current discussion I'd like to
> re-advocate that proposal.  It is consistent with what
> Stefano has suggested.
>
> To summarize:
>
> 1. Leverage existing momentum by seeding the project with two
> existing VMs 2. Leverage existing work by focusing on
> modularity of major reusable components (including components
> from outside of the seed VMs).
> 3. Concurrently design new VM cores.
>
> Modularizing the seed VMs will provide the group with a great
> deal of insight into how new VM cores should be built.  I say
> "cores" for three
> reasons: a) the cores will (by defn) be small, so with a
> modular framework, having multiple cores should be feasible,
> b) different cores can target different needs, c) we can
> explore different implementation strategies.
>
> --Steve

+1

After looking through the code of Jikes I'm voting for this proposal
(and the use of Jikes as a seed VM) because
a) Jikes seems a fairly mature, and it appears somewhat modular already
b) I am (much) more likely to be able to contribute to Jikes than a
C-based VM

I do have some concerns about the build process that Jikes currently
has, but Steve has already spoken about addressing that.

There are probably licence issues that would need resolving, too.

This isn't meant as a negative vote against other VMs - Steve's proposal
explicitly mentions working on other VMs in parrel.

If people were going to work on JCVM (for instance) then I would imagine
some enhancements could be shared, particularly to the parts of JCVM
written in Java. It would also enable us to understand the interface
requirements between parts of the VM better than most of us currently
do.

Nick

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.