harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: Harmony Project Structure Attempt
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 01:53:16 GMT
Nice set of diagrams.

I certainly wouldn't agree that Harmony should:

"aim[s] at creating a cleanroom, open source implementation of the Java Virtual Machine in
C/C++ or other OS-integration-friendly language. We currently lack a good choice for JVM code
baseline. Potentially, we face reimplementing from scratch."

A lot of people have expressed interest in a JVM written in Java providing performance is
adequate. There has been substantial evidence present to show that it can be.

We do not lack good choices for a JVM. Steve Blackburn has presented a proposal to use Jikes
RVM, and there has been discussion of Kaffe and GCJ as well.

(I also believe there is a desire to use the APR if an OS abstraction layer is required).

Nick

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.