harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: Stop worrying about licenses!
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 01:28:50 GMT
One specific question that I haven't seen addressed elsewhere:

Currently the FAQ for classpath says:

"If you are going to contribute source code to GNU Classpath we must
make sure that you have not studied the source code of the JDK/JRE or
decompiled any of its classes." [1]

The FAQ for the new Java Research Licence says:

"18. Does the JRL prevent you from being able to create an independent
implementation of J2SE?

The JRL is not a tainting license, and includes an express "residual
knowledge" clause. Under the JRL, merely looking at Sun's code does not
prevent you from being able to create your own independent
implementation of J2SE, and in any event, you can terminate the JRL at
any time for any reason. So, yes, you can look at Sun source code and
then later on go and work on an open-source J2SE implementation." [2]

Given these inconsistencies is it safe to look at the Sun JDK if we are
planning to work on Classpath (and/or Harmony)

Nick

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/faq/faq.html#faq3_2
[2] http://java.net/jrl.html

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.