harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: The topic of the Java Compiler
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 00:03:20 GMT

> Berlin> The compiler seems to be a non-issue at this time
> with a focus
> Berlin> on the JavaVM.  What are your thoughts on the different
> Berlin> compilers?
>
> For Harmony I would say the leading contender is the java
> compiler that comes with Eclipse.  It is written in java and
> already supports all the 1.5 features.
>
> As far as gcj goes, the new 1.5-ish front end I'm writing has
> a standalone part which does all the language processing and
> bytecode generation.  It does not depend on the rest of gcc
> at all.  It is written in C++.
>
> kjc is also out there and being developed, but I don't know
> much about it.

The Eclipse compiler is already being embedded in Tomcat and works well.
It also has the advantage of a liberal Apache compatible licence.

There is also the Jikes compiler (which isn't the same as the Eclipse
compiler, nor the Jikes RVM).

Nick

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.