harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 03:21:22 GMT

> I assume that there is a project lead or leads associated
> with this coming from the Apache project, and they will make
> the determination of these initial matters.
>
> So speak up project lead(s).  We are here.  We are talking a
> lot, but not much is happening.  Order us about.  Assign
> work.  Let's get our hands dirty.  The likelihood is that
> there will be changes along the way anyhow.
> There almost always are, and developers dedicated to the
> project will simply have to adapt.

That's not really how Apache works. If someone has a good idea they
should implement it, or at least put forward a proposal for it.

For instance, a proposal that has been implicit in this project since
the start is:

"Apache Harmony should use the GNU Classpath class libraries"

Currently we are seeing a lot of discussion about that, particually WRT
licencing.

Another proposal is:

"The Apache Harmony VM should/should not be implemented in Java"

Implicit in that proposal is that a new VM will be written for this
project. That isn't a decision that has been made yet, as other people
are discussing creating an API that allows various exisitng VM
implementations to be used, but it has brought some interesting
discussion about the benefits of various approaches to light.

To get to the point:

If someone wants to write a new VM in Java then there are probably
people on this list who will be interested in helping. However, there
are probably other people who would think that decsion would be
premature, since there is already a high quality Open Source VM written
in Java (Jikes RVM) and the author/maintainer is active on this list.

Nick

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.