harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: [
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 02:34:28 GMT
Hani is a smart guy and we would be wise to listen to what he is saying.
He's a very active contributor to many (non-Apache) open source projects
and has probably contributed more lines of open source code than the
majority of people on this list. If that doesn't give him the right to
comment then I'm not sure what does.

It's true he could phrase them in a nicer(?!) way, though (but then it
wouldn't be the Bile Blog). Greg Luck had a "Not the Bile Blog" for
while that translated Hani's comments for the easily offended. See
http://gregluck.com/blog/archives/2004/12/the_bileblog_wi.html

To specifically address the issues Hani raised:

Q) What is the clear need for an open source Java?
A) There isn't a single good answer to this. My personal favourite is to
allow it to be deeply integrated into the major Linux distributions, but
other people may have different goal.

Q) Is the approach of integrating multiple open source projects to build
a J2SE implementation workable?
A) This is an open question - there continue to be licensing issues to
be worked out.

Don't get offended - take it as a challenge and prove him wrong.

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.