harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Sun, 22 May 2005 16:51:31 GMT

On May 22, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Dan Lydick wrote:

> What I hear in this proposal for multiple VM's is the potential for
>
>  1. munge-and-squash to create a new VM based on the
>     best qualities of the seeded contributions.

If we have seeded contributions.  I've been proposing people look at
OSS Vms out there to get ideas on what we want ours to be.

I'm not sure how much munging and squashing we can do b/c of license
issues.

>  2. divide-and-specialize to take these cores and build
>     some derived VM's that specialize in specific feature
>     sets, such as a cornerstone for large J2EE app servers,
>     small mobile environments, fast-starting J2SE programs,
>     high-resource J2SE programs and similar conflicting
>     runtime matters.

That's something we'd certainly want to enable, but I would hope that
could be achieved with configuration or "profiles" of the components
we have available.

>  3. Useful combinations of the above.
>
> By possibly following combinations of both approaches, then
> taking the lessons learned, then potentially a single VM
> or selected subset of multiple VM's would emerge, all based
> on the best of the batch of experiments, and made available
> either at compile time (multiple VM binary program names),
> or at runtime (single binary, multiple startup options).
>
> Is this reasonable?  Am I reading Weldon and Steve correctly?

Yes.

geir

geirm@apache.org