harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems/Issues/Questions
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 14:34:26 GMT

On May 10, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

[snip]

> Issues and possible solutions:
> - Any source code or Jars under GPL cannot be checked into ASF CVS.
>   One possibility is for FSF folks to publish maven snapshots of
>   the daily build.

Yes - that would solve things for now and get us going to get things
working

> - Need to check if the classpath jars can be part of a install package
>   from ASF Legal folks. Problem is we don't want users do download two
>   things from two places to get a working JDK/JRE. One solution is the
>   shared classpath instance model where many VM's share the same
>   classpath jar. this may reduce the problem, but not an ideal
> solution.

This is something to work on, but not critical to solve now.

[snip]

> Question from the point of view of a potential user of Harmony:
> - Same question i asked for Geronimo...A specific product in my
> company
> needs Java's, currently we ship JVM from [SUNW/IBM] by default. This
> product is NOT positioned as a JVM/JRE engine and NO claims of Java
> compliance is made. We want use Harmony+Classpath as the default
> JVM for
> our product. We will comply with ALL requirements of ASL 2.0 under
> which Harmony is licensed. We DON'T want to talk to SUN/ASF/FSF or pay
> them any money (we don't pay SUNW now!!), we DON'T want to run the
> TCK's
> before we ship the product. We just want to use Harmony as-is BUT we'd
> like to issue some patches to our customers if necessary for product
> support. What are my additional obligations because of Classpath
> which is the default library in Harmony? (ones that are not applicable
> to  other ASF projects)

I think you are going to get into some trouble.  What bothers me is
if you claim that such product runs on Java, and I can add Java code
to run in the product, I'm going to expect Java.  I don't know what
Harmony + Classpath is unless it's certified via the TCK.

I think that we want to do a few things :

a) Make sure that we make certified Harmony (+ whatever
dependencies...) easy for people to bundle in the way you want to,
while still being Java.  I think that is what the entire community
(including SUNW) wants - more compatible Java.

b) Encourage people that need to make derivative works and call them
Java to certify those derivative works.   This also is good for the
Java universe.

geir

geirm@apache.org