harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems/Issues/Questions
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 14:34:26 GMT

On May 10, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Issues and possible solutions:
> - Any source code or Jars under GPL cannot be checked into ASF CVS.
>   One possibility is for FSF folks to publish maven snapshots of
>   the daily build.

Yes - that would solve things for now and get us going to get things

> - Need to check if the classpath jars can be part of a install package
>   from ASF Legal folks. Problem is we don't want users do download two
>   things from two places to get a working JDK/JRE. One solution is the
>   shared classpath instance model where many VM's share the same
>   classpath jar. this may reduce the problem, but not an ideal
> solution.

This is something to work on, but not critical to solve now.

> Question from the point of view of a potential user of Harmony:
> - Same question i asked for Geronimo...A specific product in my
> company
> needs Java's, currently we ship JVM from [SUNW/IBM] by default. This
> product is NOT positioned as a JVM/JRE engine and NO claims of Java
> compliance is made. We want use Harmony+Classpath as the default
> JVM for
> our product. We will comply with ALL requirements of ASL 2.0 under
> which Harmony is licensed. We DON'T want to talk to SUN/ASF/FSF or pay
> them any money (we don't pay SUNW now!!), we DON'T want to run the
> TCK's
> before we ship the product. We just want to use Harmony as-is BUT we'd
> like to issue some patches to our customers if necessary for product
> support. What are my additional obligations because of Classpath
> which is the default library in Harmony? (ones that are not applicable
> to  other ASF projects)

I think you are going to get into some trouble.  What bothers me is
if you claim that such product runs on Java, and I can add Java code
to run in the product, I'm going to expect Java.  I don't know what
Harmony + Classpath is unless it's certified via the TCK.

I think that we want to do a few things :

a) Make sure that we make certified Harmony (+ whatever
dependencies...) easy for people to bundle in the way you want to,
while still being Java.  I think that is what the entire community
(including SUNW) wants - more compatible Java.

b) Encourage people that need to make derivative works and call them
Java to certify those derivative works.   This also is good for the
Java universe.