harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 15:41:08 GMT
I'd like to formally propose what I think many have been thinking and
maybe have already suggested - that we'll need to combine both  C/C++
and  Java in this effort.  After thinking about it, I don't really
see upside to having two parallel tracks, when in fact we can and
should be working together.

So, to do that :

   I. [VM Kernel] Start with a core 'kernel' in C/C++ that provides
intrinsics needed by the other modules.

  II. [Modular VM Architecture] Clearly define the other modules,
what intrinsics they need from the core kernel, and what
relationships they have to other modules

III. [VM<->Class library Interface] Begin seriously examining the GNU
Classpath VM interface, iteratively producing a "Common Classlibrary
Interface" that we can ask GNU Classpath to implement.  Right now,
they have a VM interface that is a great starting point, but I get
the impression that there is a whole suite of intrinsic VM
functionality that should be standardized and exposed to the class
library by the VM.

To do this I'd like to

a) Respectfully petition JamVM for a one-time license grant of the
codebase under the Apache License that we can start with.  We would
use this as our base kernel, refactoring out the modules that we
decide on in II above, and working to implement those modules in
whatever makes sense - Java or C.  Robert brought up this issue on
the list, so I have responded w/ a request on this list.

b) Consider starting a second mail list "harmony-arch", for
modularity discussions, to separate out the traffic from the dev
traffic.

Lets get moving.  Comments?

geir

geirm@apache.org