harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Stop worrying about licenses!
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 15:34:39 GMT
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input into the legal discussion so far. We've got enough
input for now :-)

Roughly 95% of the people on this list should from this point forward stop
worrying about licensing issues for, oh, I dunno, the next 6 months. The
harmony project mentors and its PPMC will keep working with all appropriate
parties (like ASF legal, FSF legal, Sun, and others) to resolve these
issues, and they're perfectly capable of doing that.

For now, you can assume:

 * we *can* use GNU Classpath as long as we do not publish any releases, ie
   at least for the next six months;

 * we *may* stop using GNU Classpath at some point in the future;

 * the answer to most of your legal questions will be provided within a
   reasonable timeframe without you needing to actually ask those questions
   (we already know what those questions are, we don't have the answers yet,
   but we are working on it).

One of the things the ASF offers to projects is the freedom to not worry
about most of the legal mess. So don't, and get to work :-)

Thanks and happy hacking!

- Leo