harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Griswold <bgrisw...@terracottatech.com>
Subject Re: Harmony goals and priorities
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 03:06:40 GMT
Both IBM (in J9) and BEA (in JRockit) own 100% of the JVM - the virtual
machine - that is just part of the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Both J9
and JRockit are clean-room implementations of the virtual machines - this is
where the biggest "magic" is in terms of performance, manageability,
stability, etc. You are right to point out that the class libraries come
from Sun, and while both IBM and BEA modify some of these libraries, they
are derivative works of Sun's IP, so they can't open source those.

Bob