harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Griswold <bgrisw...@terracottatech.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on VM
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 02:41:03 GMT
The performance of the VM doesn't actually matter that much in a
long-running application. It might make the code generation cycle faster
(leading to faster start-up time, but not if it takes time to optimize the
VM) or GC's to happen faster, but the VM code takes up typically less than
10% (usually far less than 10%) of the overall application performance time,
so even if you double the performance of the VM, you will only get a small
improvement in overall application performance.

Bob