harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Griswold <bgrisw...@terracottatech.com>
Subject Re: Harmony goals and priorities
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 02:37:41 GMT
Karen:

You and I have shared our thoughts and have seen eye to eye on this for a
long time now. It's good to see this project getting started, and it's good
to know that you are monitoring this and Red Hat will work to help integrate
it deeply with Linux.

I do still feel strongly that stability and commercial hardening are
indispensable here. It would be great to get a BEA or IBM to donate their
JVM's to this project - they are mature, pressure tested pieces of software
that have had thousands of bugs shaken out of them. Shaking bugs out of
JVM's is very different than shaking bugs out of Mozilla - or even Linux.
JVM's do so many things indeterministically, no amount of testing can
replace hundreds or thousands of years of cumulative customer production
hardening.

Bob