harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 14:43:29 GMT

On May 13, 2005, at 1:30 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> As I've said before, I'd like to see a framework that _allows_
>> most of the VM to be run in Java (or Python, or Perl, or Erlang,
>> or whatever-floats-your-boat), but doesn't require it.
>>

> Yes, I think this is the most sensible compromise.
>
> I would agree in making this one of our high level requirements for
> Harmony's architecture.

I'd only be happy here if the performance hit to cross "framework"
and "module implementation" boundaries was borne by the *module*, not
the framework, so that we can get fast implementations via
homogeneous implementation language and let anyone who wants to use
other languages bear the cost of marshaling across the boundary.

if we aren't performant, it won't be interesting to users and
innovators.

geir

geirm@apache.org