harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Brooks" <jmb_perso...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 18:43:34 GMT
> > We do NOT have the time or manpower to write two VMs as part of a
> > project where we need a working J2SE 5 implementation, from basement to
> > TV aerial so to speak, and we need it in time to be relevant.  Even with
> > donated code, it won't work to do VMs in parallel.
>
>Look around: do you really think manpower is your scarcity point?

As a matter of fact, I do.

We are not a group of experts operating under a clear plan.  We are a
disparate group of people with a common interest and different ability
levels in different things.

This is something we can do, but I think you are underestimating the
complexity of the project.  This is something that will take a couple of
years to get to the point where we have something useful.  Unless of course
we just glue together somebody else's components, in which case, maybe not,
but then, you are stuck with your code base, unless you try to rewrite it,
in which case, you are taking as much time as writing it from scratch.

Go take a look at the J2SE 5 documentation and see all the components that
will need to be developed, all the library code that will need to be
implemented.  The JRE isn't massive because the code is all fluff.

Many hands can make light work, but work it will be, and only a sustained
and focused effort will succeed.