harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Brooks" <jmb_perso...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Java
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 01:48:49 GMT
>Hey, this is an Apache project.  There is no lead - we're all peers.

Then we are doomed. :)

>But if you are looking for something to do ....   how can we figure  out
>the viability of this approach, and either park the idea as an  interesting
>one but not appropriate for the project, or a good one  that we'll keep
>going forward with?

I lack the requisite experience to take the lead on this.  However, I think
we couldn't really make that determination until someone has done some
high-level specifications and determined what exactly needs to be done.
That requires us to identify preliminary issues regarding the build
environment.  Realistically, what is our timeframe here?  If we have 36
months, we might be able to achieve a lot.  If somebody is looking for
something in the next 12 months, the project might have to be scaled back.

Exactly what IS Harmony?  If the goal is an Apache-licensed J2SE 5.0
implementation, then we have two parts (1) the VM and (2) the class library.
  Our requirements tool is the TCK -- but somebody still needs to reduce
that to a series of requirements and specifications so we can target what
needs to be done and estimate how long it will take to do.