harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Brooks" <jmb_perso...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 18:24:53 GMT
>I can't think of a single reason why C should be preferred over C++.
>C can simply be viewed as a subset of C++

Not anymore, really.  The current ISO standards for C and C++ have
eliminated the "C++ is only a superset" aspect.  They really are different
languages.

Also, you CAN write C in an object-oriented style, as the GTK+ project
demonstrates.

However...

>I'm however very fond of the idea of writing the JVM in Java. I'm
>beginning to look into the JikesRVM and I really like the idea,
>especially as it is the language that everyone on this list is familiar
>with.

That would be my preference as well.  "Eating our own dog food" has the
benefit of forcing us to deal with optimization issues that we might
otherwise sweep under the carpet through using a lower-level language.  It
also introduces much more time debugging, fixing common errors, handling
threading through low-level APIs, etc, to use either C or C++, not to
mention that if we use C++, we would have to use a restricted subset of C++
to assure portability, and that will create its own headaches..

So I would support sticking with Java also.