harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Brooks" <jmb_perso...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Java
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 20:18:30 GMT
>Oh, This will not a issue. Just like the C compiler is writen using C
>language.

Correct.  It is usually the case that a language tool is written in it's own
language.  I.e., early versions run on the legacy version, then it becomes
self-hosting.

GNU libc is written in C
SBCL is written in Common Lisp
etc.

The problem with using either C or C++ is that you will introduce a host of
development horrors that Java was designed to address in the firsts place
when developing large, complex projects.

If you are determined to use another language to implement the lowest
levels, I would suggest Ada or Ocaml over C or C++ just to avoid certain
reliability and maintainability issues from cropping up.  Why stack the deck
against ourselves?  Of course, there aren't a whole lot of Ada and Ocaml
hackers around, whereas there is a large base of Java programmers to be
harnessed.

Mark