harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Brooks" <jmb_perso...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 08:04:57 GMT
>My point exactly, nothing has been decided, perhaps it's time to make some
>decisions

Agreed.

>I read this as build a better VM than HotSpot under the APL, *and* write
>the class libraries.  I don't read this as take kaffe or JRVM or any other
>product and slap an Apache sticker and go faster stripes on it.  The
>proposal seems to be clear about writing from scratch if it isn't then my
>bad.

That was my original impression as well.  Besides, as a practical matter,
rewriting an existing codebase doesn't necessarily save you time.  It can do
the opposite, in fact, depending on the state of the codebase.  Maintaining
somebody else's code is no picnic, and they might make assumptions in
developing their own codebase that don't apply in your project.

So I suggest that, with regards to the VM at least, it should be our own
cleanroom VM.  Really, Harmony is three projects.  First, we need a build
environment.  Second, we need a conforming VM.  Third, we need a class
library.  I suspect three will be the biggest issue.  The Java platform API
is huge.