harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Royce Ausburn <esapers...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 10:49:45 GMT

> I think it's too slow to have the overhead of a function call for
> every object allocation. This is the cost of modularization. I doubt
> any of the mainstream JVMs you are competing with do this.

Given how java (Apple JVM on OS X tiger) seems to allocate a chunk of
memory when you first load it and only occasionally reallocate more
if I'm using alot of memory, I'd say that it gets around that
'external function call overhead' by allocating memory into its
internal heap and then using native (pure java) code to manage the
VM's memory.  I've no idea though - I'm interested now!

How do they do it?

--Royce