harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Jam VM as Seed : request for license grant (Was Re: JIRA and SVN)
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 15:39:16 GMT

On May 21, 2005, at 6:49 PM, Robert Lougher wrote:

> The major problem with JamVM as regards Harmony is that it is
> currently licensed under the GPL.  I originally had some specific
> reasons for doing this, however, I am open to suggestions about
> different licensing models, e.g. dual-licensing, adoption of LGPL or a
> linking exception as in GNU Classpath.  Assuming the license issue
> could be sorted out, and if (and it's a big if) JamVM was adopted as
> one of the seed VMs my next concern would be what happens next. Would
> it be a fork?  Would I continue to work on JamVM as now?  Of course,
> change is not necessarily a bad thing.

Robert,

I'd like to cut to the chase and ask the following... I was going to
do in private, and happy to discuss concerns in private, but since
you brought up here, I'm going to take the risk and ask :

Would you consider granting a copyright license for the JamVM
codebase to the Apache Software Foundation under the Apache License?

This means that you simply have given us license to the code under
the Apache License (which means we can do with it as we choose), and
you retain the copyright to do with as you choose.   We of course
will not call it JamVM, and anything we do could be included in JamVM
if you so chose.

Ideally, we want you to participate here.   However, as we'd like to
use this as a seed for a VM kernel, modularizing and implementing
parts in probably very strange ways, and we'd want it to be able to
change as needed w/o affecting the existing users of JamVM.

I'm averse to calling it a "fork" as that denotes some sort of
"taking away" or "duplication" or such - rather, I'd like to think of
this as a contribution to seed what I think will be a very different
result.

Any interest?  :)

geir

geirm@apache.org