harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mudGE JavaVM.
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 15:32:07 GMT

On May 11, 2005, at 2:36 AM, Tom van Dijck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list after I received an email from Jason Hunter
> suggesting
> to subscribe, and I have not yet taken the time to read all
> so I'm sorry if I'm interrupting any discussions.
>
> Anyway, after reading the press release I got very interested in this
> project since for the last couple of months I've been writting a
> fully J2SE
> compatible JavaVM, although without a JIT currently, it does
> executes all
> bytecode compiled by the latest version of the sun compiler. I'm
> currently
> working on the debugger interface for integration with eclipse.
>
> Now, of course there are lost of other VM's out there so this one
> isn't
> anything special, but it does follow the harmony.jpg design a great
> deal,

Ha!  And people were making fun of me!

Can you give a bit more info an how you designed it? (And then others
- Dalibor? - can do the same, so we can see how people are
approaching this problem...)

> which is why I though sharing it might be of any use.
> It is written fully from ground up, doesn't use any other GPL'ed code
> anywhere, and runs on pretty much all platforms I've tested it on.

What is it written in?

> (Playstation2, Xbox, PC, Gamecube) One detail though is that since
> I'm using
> it on game platforms and use it as a scripting engine, I have
> written a very
> small and custom runtime, which doesn't follow any of the J2SE
> standards.

That's fine.  I assume you mean the class library?  Here's a great
opportunity to see if we can connect this and GNUClasspath through a
BSD-ed interface so we can keep the license issues separate.

> Well, uhm... I would be more then happy to share and learn, in case of
> interest that is.

What are your interests in terms of making visible for examination?
You may not wish to OSS it right now, but more visibility into what's
out there is good.

geir

geirm@apache.org