harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Rodrigo Kumpera <kump...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [arch] VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 23:40:54 GMT
On 5/27/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 27, 2005, at 4:34 PM, Rodrigo Kumpera wrote:
>
> > We should provide wrappers to classes for the sake of
> > compatibility. Are
> > there any legal problems with doing so?
>
> Why would we do that? We don't want to encourage such misbehavior...?
>
> geir

There are two kinds of compatibility: by specification, the TCK buy us that;
and pragmatic, and this is having software just work.

Look around for all FOSS that are made to be an alternative to proprietary
software, they all have kludges to be implementation compatible to the
non-free counterpart.

Last time I checked, no one, nether me or you, is developing code agains the
TCK, but to a real JVM. And as hard as we may try, sometimes we end with
software that depends on unspecified behavior. So it's better try to be "bug
compatible" too.