harmony-dev mailing list archives

From tetsuo <ronald.tet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I hope the JVM implements most using Java itself
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 11:29:16 GMT
On 5/11/05, Robin Garner <Robin.Garner@anu.edu.au> wrote:
> You might like to take a look at how the org.vmmagic classes implemented
> in JikesRVM and (I believe) in JNode do this.  Essentially you this
> interface defines 'magic' classes such as 'Address' that can be used in
> the VM internals to access raw memory.  As far as the program text goes,
> you are calling a method of an object, but the compiler produced
> optimized machine code to do memory loads, stores etc.  So you get the
> power to do low-level things, but with some measure of type safety etc.

So, you want to create your own modified (proprietary, incompatible)
Java (J++?) to write the 'real' Java implementation? :\

I think it would be more feasible to pick the most near-complete
ASL-compatible pieces already coded out there (kaffe, classpath), help
them to achieve completeness, and integrate all of them in a complete
package, just like Geronimo did. Of course they should satisfy some
requirements, and it may require changes, but it's just like JOTM did
to satisfy Geronimo's requirements
(http://www.theserverside.com/talks/videos/MichaelGiroux/interview.tss?bandwidth=dsl).