harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Sun, 22 May 2005 16:48:18 GMT

On May 22, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Dan Lydick wrote:

> We don't have to eat the whole pie at once, and we don't have
> to.  How about the general proposal as shown here and in
> recent postings of:
>
> - FIRST:  A basic JVM, written in C/C++, by some combination
>     of contribution, new development, and extension
>
> - SECOND:  JIT and/or other compile optimizations, still C/C++
>
> - THIRD:  Other JVM speedups, in concert or concurrently
>     with a JIT compiler, still C/C++.
>
> - FOURTH:  Potential rewrite of key portions into Java.
>
> This process will certainly take several years, but the
> advantage to this is an accumulation of experience on
> what works and what does not work, especially for the
> various runtime and compile optimizations.
>
> Comments?

This is pretty much how I imagined it would go, but expect that we
keep the door open for portions in Java, and keep that in mind from
the outset.  I'm also open to others that wish to work in Java from
the start.

I do want to make sure that we work things out so we *can*
interoperate, so parts of the later phases above can come earlier,
just because there are parallel efforts that due to approach to the
problem, do things sooner.

geir

geirm@apache.org