harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 21:40:05 GMT

On May 23, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>>> a) Respectfully petition JamVM for a one-time license grant of
>>> the  codebase under the Apache License that we can start with.
>>> We would  use this as our base kernel, refactoring out the
>>> modules that we  decide on in II above, and working to implement
>>> those modules in  whatever makes sense - Java or C.  Robert
>>> brought up this issue on  the list, so I have responded w/ a
>>> request on this list
>>>

> Just something to consider..
>
> JamVM is optimized for size (and succeeds incredibly well at that),
> not necessarily completeness. For example, I don't think that it
> supports class loader unloading or soft/weak/phantom references
> (Robert
> please correct me if this is wrong). Those are non-trivial bits to
> have to design and write from scratch, and retro-fitting them into
> an existing VM could potential require significant rework.

Are you suggesting we do it w/ JC?  :)  Is there a single copyright
holder such

I guess what I was thinking was that we start with a small VM kernel
in C/C++ and refactor and build the modules in C/C++ and Java, as we
can.  I didn't want to appear to be proclaiming that JamVM is "it",
but rather a small kernel to start with , start refactoring, and
start doing the modularization work in both C and Java.

Would JCVM meet these criterion?  More importantly, would you
consider a donation?

The intent isn't to fork or "be" JamVM or JCVM, but really reuse the
core as a base.  I would guess that in a short period of time, we'll
make it be completely different than what was donated.

geir

geirm@apache.org