harmony-dev mailing list archives

From David Griffiths <david.griffi...@gmail.com>
Subject Java bytecode metrics?
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 11:59:28 GMT
I've been wondering about the cost of adding gc points to every backwards
branch in LLVM (as would need to be done to make it multithreaded). A paper
here http://research.sun.com/techrep/1998/abstract-70.html suggests the cost
is around 5% of total running time (compared to code patching). What I was
wondering was, does anyone know of any code metrics for large collections of
Java bytecode? Eg what is the average number of bytecodes in a method, what
is the average ratio of backward branches per bytecode and so on.

Is code patching a technique that has been widely employed in JIT compilers?
(I liked the idea of using an access to a write-protected page to reduce the
cost of polling!)

Cheers,

Dave