harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stop worrying about licenses!
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 15:32:04 GMT

On May 16, 2005, at 9:28 PM, Nick Lothian wrote:

> One specific question that I haven't seen addressed elsewhere:
>
> Currently the FAQ for classpath says:
>
> "If you are going to contribute source code to GNU Classpath we must
> make sure that you have not studied the source code of the JDK/JRE or
> decompiled any of its classes." [1]
>

> The FAQ for the new Java Research Licence says:
>
> "18. Does the JRL prevent you from being able to create an independent
> implementation of J2SE?
>
> The JRL is not a tainting license, and includes an express "residual
> knowledge" clause. Under the JRL, merely looking at Sun's code does
> not
> prevent you from being able to create your own independent
> implementation of J2SE, and in any event, you can terminate the JRL at
> any time for any reason. So, yes, you can look at Sun source code and
> then later on go and work on an open-source J2SE implementation." [2]
>
> Given these inconsistencies is it safe to look at the Sun JDK if we
> are
> planning to work on Classpath (and/or Harmony)

Yes, and no :)

This is a complex issue I have scheduled for another, separate
thread.  Sun's intent is that if you see src.jar or -ish, you are
*not* tarnished for life and unable to participate.  That said, we
want to find a clear, unambiguous statement about what that really
means.  I think that if you glanced at src.jar when debugging or
trying to figure out how things work, then you'll be fine (assuming
we have that clear, unambiguous statement...).  If you were an
employee of Sun working on this code?  Dunno.  We'll probably ask
that you stay clear at least from the parts you worked on to prevent
accidents :)

More in a sep thread.

geir

geirm@apache.org