harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Gearon <gea...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: I hope the JVM implements most using Java itself
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 01:45:26 GMT

On 11/05/2005, at 11:00 PM, Christian Willy Asmussen - Young Padovan
wrote:

> Paul Gearon wrote:
>>> ...native machine code I assume.
>>>
>>> All ok but ...now how do you
>>> want to execute that from java - easily?
>> Not saying you want to do it this way, but a question like this
>> demands an answer. :-)

> Isn't this what mono/GNUdotNet does?

No idea, but it's an obvious (and easy) approach, which is why I
described it.  (well, it's obvious for me, because I've been playing
with JNI lately).  The fact that someone else chose to use it is no
surprise.  (This is a good example of why I hate software patents)

The reason I said that you might not want to do it this way is
because it *is* so obvious.  There's probably some subtle technique
that can be applied that is non-obvious and better.  But the question
asked for "easy", so that's how I responded.  :-)

Regards,
Paul Gearon