harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Garner" <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 12:17:30 GMT
> I hope you use C to write the VM for Harmony.
>
> The reason is, that I think, that the best is, if Harmony is nearly 100%
> compatible to Suns Java.
>
> If you write the VM in Java itself, then there existing some problems:
> 1. you need a native-code compiler (like gcj) to create it. And if Harmony
> itself is a native-code compiler it is not 100% compatible to Suns JVM.

This isn't necessarily so.  While there are bootstrapping issues, VMs like
JikesRVM compile themselves under normal operation.

> 2. I don't know how you want to create a JNI-Interface for C, if the JVM
> is
> written in Java.

This has been done successfully by existing Java-in-Java virtual machines.
 JikesRVM is open source - you could read the code and find out how it
does it if you want :)

cheers,
Robin