harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 22:44:55 GMT

On May 19, 2005, at 2:38 PM, Rob Gonzalez wrote:

>>>   - jc (written in C)
>>>   - jikes rvm (written in java)
>>>

>> Between those two I'm on the side of jc becuase it should run faster
>> than jikes rvm, I don't know why it wouldn't. Though I don't know why
>> Kaffe isn't on the list.
>>

> AFAICT JC is the only real option on the table right now.
>
> - jc was donated under the apache license.
>
> - JikesRVM is CPL, so i don't believe it's automatically on the table
> without IBM's releasing a version under the apache license.
>
> - Kaffe is GPL and no one organization or person owns the copyright
> (as compared to GNU projects, for example), so it's basically
> impossible to re-license.
>

> since we're now officially in the incubator, can we check this into an
> apache SVN repository and get hacking at it?

No.  I think it's really in our best interest to sort out our commit
policy before committing *any* code.  (I still have fresh scars from
Geronimo, due to process, rather than actual issues. But process can
kill you...)

Expect an email after I land tomorrow, 12:40 EDT :)

> Regarding the x-platform & modularity goals;  regardless of whether
> most of the VM itself is written in Java, C, or whatever, having a
> small bootloading VM layer that instantiates the rest of the VM --
> again, a la JikesRVM -- is probably a good design decision and
> something that can be worked on immediately;  not that I'm
> volunteering for that myself ;) .

You mean a launcher?

geir

geirm@apache.org