harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 21:11:27 GMT

On May 12, 2005, at 11:26 PM, Kev Jackson wrote:

>> So speak up project lead(s).  We are here.  We are talking a lot,
>> but not much is happening.  Order us about.  Assign work.  Let's
>> get our hands dirty.  The likelihood is that there will be changes
>> along the way anyhow.  There almost always are, and developers
>> dedicated to the project will simply have to adapt.
>>

> couldn't agree more, the more 'talking' happening here, the less
> progress seems to be made.  The guys rant on bile blog had some
> points about people here talking and waiting for a code drop from
> IBM/Sun/whoever.  I'd like to help on this I really would, but I
> need a direction, what are we doing here?  Is it a glue classpath
> to kaffe to xxx?  Is it a write everything from scratch?  If we
> want to get started we need some code, without it we're just
> wasting everyone's time

It's been one (1) week.  There's been lots of good conversation.  We
have lots of things to explore.  I wouldn't force the issue right
now.  I'm happy to go w/ C/C++ or Java.  I just want to understand
the trade-offs.

I'd like to be sure that :

a) this is modular
b) that it's *fast*
c) that it's maintainable
d) that it's portable

I've seen both Java and C++/C codebases that satisfy a - d :)

I'm hoping that we can start looking at a small modular VM - even
just a toy implementation that we can hook to GNU Classpath through
an interfacing API that we judge to be sufficient for any
implementation of VM _or_ class library.

geir

geirm@apache.org