harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Fig, Ricardo" <R....@fact.es>
Subject RE: I hope the JVM implements most using Java itself
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 07:30:21 GMT
I agree, I think if JVM can extends current scope possibilities, and support to work with RAW
memory, will be a very good advantange.

Regards,
Ricardo

-----Original Message-----
From: Will Pugh [mailto:willpugh@sourcelabs.com]
Sent: miƩrcoles, 11 de mayo de 2005 9:27
To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: I hope the JVM implements most using Java itself

For most applications I would agree. GC is a pretty good way to go, it has a number of good
properties such as fast allocation, pretty decent object grouping in many cases, pretty fast,
etc.

However, you still can't work with raw memory, e.g. allocating blocks of memory for working
with many of the same objects, moving objects around in physical memory, physically changing
vtables for exisiting Java Objects (potentially useful for some optimizations). A JVM has
more to do than just turn bytecode into native code, it also needs to manage memory, changing
already JITed machine code, potentially changing existing object layouts/vtables.

--Will