harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew French" <matt...@camary.co.za>
Subject Re: Windows support
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 15:41:03 GMT
Kalecser Kurtz said:
> I fail to see the point on writing open source software for Windows,
> on windows we already have SUN's and IBM's java impl and I think noone
> would care to have an free(from freedom) java impl.

We have a customer writing a parallel computing application in Java.
Multithreaded performance on Windows sucks big time. But there were also
all sorts of performance problems running under Solaris on an 8 processor
Sparc box.

Currently they are using JBoss with a view to having a cluster of many
J2EE servers. (Which is kind of like swatting a fly with a tank.) And to
make it more interesting, it looks like JBoss will be running on Windows
thanks to the complete lack of awareness about Linux in the organisation.

Now if they had an open source JVM that gave the performance they needed,
with the ability to customise the garbage collector (a big source of the
performance problem) then it would be a win for open source, hopefully
some more developers for the project, and one more big step towards
Linux/BSD in this organisation.

Of course, if developers are not inclined to write the Windows port - I
know it does not hold much interest for me - then we cannot make them. But
we can still design for Windows support...

- Matthew