harmony-dev mailing list archives

From FaeLLe <mrbillcollec...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 04:10:42 GMT
On 5/13/05, Kev Jackson <kevin.jackson@it.fts-vn.com> wrote:

> >How are you wasting replying to emails and undertaking a discussion.
> >

> Undertaking discussion isn't bad by itself. But discussing things and
> producing nothing is. From these discussions that have already occured,
> I would have liked to see some resolution. "We are going to tackle x
> first, we are going to use y technology" etc.
>
> >If you think spending time on a good design phase is a waste of time on
> such
> >a massive project theres something wrong...
> >

> hmm, nope I think spending time doing nothing is a waste of time on any
> project of any scale. Get code in the repo, get people contributing,
> gather some momentum.

Write code of what ? Based on what ?

Nothing has been decided ! After all this still a proposal right ? This can
be rejected too :)

Without that we are doing exactly what critics
> will point out - nothing but arm waving. Making a decision is
> important, we can change it later.

The thing is how much later into the project will the change be decided ?

What if the change we make due too Poor Planning (with two capital P's)
cause the entire work or majority of it till then to be discarded ?

Right now we aren't even at the
> design stage, so you can't say I'm against "good design" - I'm arguing
> for momentum on ideas and deciding what to approach first. Currently we
> have too many options, so I'm going to propose a vote (in the Apache
> way), just to clear away some of the debris:

Apache votes arent done by the developers it is done by the committe (or am
i wrong)

Write a crude VM first, from scratch, using other VM's as guidance, but
> not incorporating code from other projects to avoid licensing issues.
> Yes []
> No []
>
> At least we can see what's happening

No ?