harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Weldon Washburn <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 06:07:41 GMT
On 5/19/05, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> This is why I would like Harmony to have two VMs, one written in java
> and one written in C-or-friends: this would give us

Well, I suspect if we design the interfaces correctly, we could do the
above with one JVM instead of two.   Two competing Harmony
implementations means ultimately one of them must die.  Harmony really
needs one quickly evolvable code base.  The concept is to write the
JVM in 100% C/C++ today.   Rationale:  C/C++ is battle tested for
building OS and compiler systems.  Set a goal of rewritting the JIT in
Java/C# by 2007.  If IT shops are happy deploying Harmony with the JIT
written in Java, then set a goal of rewriting 90% of the VM in Java/C#
by 2009.

>  1) the goal of making things modular enough to allow to swap things
> around and allow parallel development
Yes!  Although it will be more challenging to create interfaces that
will work for both Java and C/C++, I suspect the end result will be
worthwhile.

>  2) create some internal (and friendly!) competition on speed and
> compliance :-)
Good idea.

>  3) attract two different pools of talents
Modularization allows specialization.  Specialization fosters faster
evolution.  Harmony is an opportunity to build an infrastructure that
can outrun the existing monolithic JVM code bases.  You don't need to
know the entire system to work on a given module.  A short list of JVM
modules: JIT, GC, threading/sync, class loader, verifier, OS
portablility layer.  Different JITs and GCs might actually decide to
sub-modularize if they like.  For example JIT "X" might have a single
high-level IR module and separate low-level modules for each
instruction set architecture supported.