harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Backward compatibility
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 16:14:17 GMT

On May 11, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Doug Hall wrote:
>
>> Forgive a newbie, but if Harmony passes, would there be an effort
>> to write the deprecated code? Personally, I would hope not - at
>> least not initially. But wouldn't it need to include them to pass
>> compatibility tests (TCK), or do these tests only test the current
>> API?
>>

> Deprecated or non deprecated, we want Harmony to pass the TCK, so
> whatever the TCK wants us to do, we'll do it.

Yes - to chime in here, we don't just want to squeak by.  We want to
be just as good as anything else.  We may optimize the deprecated
APIs later, but we won't avoid doing them - J2SE users expect to have
those APIs in an implementation that calls itself Java, and so we
shall :)

geir

geirm@apache.org