harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 23:26:23 GMT
Rodrigo Kumpera wrote:

>>b) an accidental mistake, then you fix the small bug in your code, feel
>>better about the quality of your code, and move on.
>

> I agree with you about the first one, but the second is where the fine line
> between pragmatic and retoric solutions line. It's easy to say 'just fix it
> then', but I hope that Harmony gets more users that a few hackers.

I hope so, too. ;)

Seriously, though, no VM can automatically fix bugs in other people's
code. It would be unreasonable to expect that a VM could be able to
figure out which specific unspecified behaviour from which particular
release of which particular platform to emulate in order to fullfil the
expectations of the buggy code. No VM can read the mind of the developer
of the buggy code, and figure out whether going outside the scope of the
specifications was a deliberate choice or a mistake. On the other hand,
the developer of the broken code probably knows what he wanted to
achieve and can act accordingly.

There is nothing rhetoric about that: bad code breaks sooner or later.
Then it needs to be fixed.

Of course, one could throw one's arms up in the air, and shed tears
about the cruelness of a world where bad code can exist. But just fixing
the bad code seems to do work at least equally well in practice. ;)

> My point is, testing against just the TCK is just not enouth. Testing
> against real applications is where the real value of Harmony can be
> asserted. Most free JVMs already do that and nobody seens to be complaining.

Nobody is complaining because developers simply fix their bugs and move
on, be they bugs in Kaffe, GNU Classpath, or some application that
doesn't run on them due to some mistake a developer made.

If you don't think the TCK is good enough for compatiblity, then I am
sure that the respective JSRs would welcome your contributions to
improve what your believe to be a problem.

cheers,
dalibor topic