harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <Tor-Ei...@Jarnbjo.de>
Subject Re: [arch] VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 11:18:42 GMT
Rodrigo Kumpera wrote:

>Last time I checked, no one, nether me or you, is developing code agains the
>TCK, but to a real JVM. And as hard as we may try, sometimes we end with
>software that depends on unspecified behavior. So it's better try to be "bug
>compatible" too.

No, I don't agree on this either. Dalibor already mentioned several good
reasons why Harmony should not try to be implementation compatible with
any other VM and another good reason is that the usage of
com.sun-classes is also version or release dependent of Sun's VM. If Sun
decides to rename, repackage or somehow change the internal classes in a
new VM release, e.g. 1.5.0_04, code relying on these classes will break
as well. The implementors of such code should fix their part and no
other VM vendor seem to find a reason to implement their VMs in such a
fashion that broken code will run on them.

Tor